Bolfracks house stands on an elevated position overlooking the Tay Valley. During the 17 th and 18 th centuries the Bolfracks Estate was owned by the Menzies family. It was sold in the late 18 th century to become part of the Taymouth Castle Estate.
Bolfracks became the residence of the factor for the Breadalbane Estate. The gothic front was added in c.1838 possibly by James Gillespie Graham who was working at Taymouth at that time. Between 1890 and 1914 the house was let by the Estate as a shooting lodge. When the Breadalbane Estate was sold in 1922, Mr and Mrs Hutchison, the grandparents of the present owner, bought Bolfracks. During the Second World War Polish nurses were billeted in the house in association with the hospital at Taymouth.
The oldest part of the building is to the south; a two story, three bay block.
The exterior impression was achieved at some expense and inconvenience; the new wing had to be a story deeper than the old house, probably involving considerable shoring of the existing building during construction. Although the gothic wing is three rooms across in the lowest two storys, the central room is omitted in the top story, apparently to guarantee a romantic skyline.
Within the house is a map showing Bolfracks in 1769. The present house is one of a number of buildings that made up ‘ Bolfracks Town’. The approach to the village was from due north which must have been much steeper than the present driveways. The clearing of the village was carried out between 1823 and 1860 presumably when the gothic block was added. The only other structure to survive from the village is the Bolfracks burial ground that has remained in the possession of Menzies family. The mausoleum was built in 1870.
The house is best known for its gardens. There has been an ornamental garden here since the mid 18 th century but most of what can be seen today is the effort of the late Mr J Douglas Hutchison since 1975. The stream garden was designed and constructed by Ian Lawrie of Dundee in 1928 along the course of the Bolfracks Burn. It was restored and replanted from 1983-85.